Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Danny

I could write a book about my experiences with bringing the Eucharist to the people in the nursing home on Sundays for the past six years. It has been one of the greatest joys that God has given to me. I look back at it and wonder why it took me so long to volunteer for such a great privilege. At first, I didn't want to do it because I felt unworthy. Then Sister Agnes told me that someone needs to do it, and none of us are worthy, so why not give it a try. So I agreed. And six years later, I love this ministry and I miss it when I am away and have to ask for a replacement. I worry about my elderly friends when I do not see them on Sundays. Some of them teach me a lot. And even if they don't teach me, God gives me great love for them. My daily prayer is always, "Jesus, give me the love you have for all people this day and every day." And I know He answers this prayer because often my love for people is so intense that I cannot contain it; especially the love I feel for the elderly, the handicapped, the poor, and His priests.

Danny came to the nursing home last August. He is a short fellow in his 80's. He lived a rather glamorous life having had a very small role in the movie "The Wizard of Oz" as a child. He lived his life among the Hollywood Stars, never making it big, but, becoming a friendly and common face among the rich and famous, particularly among the late '40's and '50's. He served in the army on Iwo Jima during World War II. He retired to Muskegon about ten years ago and worked as a greeter at the local grocery store, handing out autographed pictures of himself in his "flying monkey" costume from the movie, still receiving recognition for his famous connection.

Last August, he had a stroke which left him wheelchair bound and not able to control his bladder. He does not have the use of the left side of his body. He is totally dependent on the caretakers at the nursing home, even to feed him and wipe his mouth. He is lonely and feels like he is a burden. It is very sad.

However, in his loneliness and helplessness, Danny has rediscovered his complete dependence on God. Almost every time I bring him the Eucharist, he begins to cry as soon as I start to say, "This is the Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world..." He says, "I need Him more than ever now." He cries because he knows how important God is to him and how much he needs Jesus. I don't know what his faith life was like before, other than that he was a practicing Catholic. But, I know that he has just about given up hope now. It gives me the opportunity to speak words of Jesus' love for him. It gives me the opportunity to put my arms around him and hug him and kiss his bald head. I can wipe his tears and place the King of the Universe on his tongue as he weeps out of gratitude. I can be the hands of Christ to him at a moment when he needs God's embrace. This is one of those times when I know God has answered my prayer and given me His love for someone on earth because my heart wants to burst with love for this frail little old man. And when I hug Danny, I am hugging Christ Himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment