Monday, January 18, 2010

Bruce

Yesterday while visiting the nursing home I stopped in to visit with Bruce. Bruce is not Catholic, but I have known his family for at least ten years. He has had a very difficult life. His wife died very young, leaving him to raise six young children by himself. He almost died as a young man because of kidney failure. He had something wrong with one of his legs which caused him to limp badly as long as I've known him, and about five years ago had to have one of his legs amputated from the knee down because of complications from diabetes. He entered the nursing home last year at the age of 55, because he could no longer care for himself and he was showing signs of early dimensia.

I always stop to say hello and chat with him because I have a heart for all people, and especially Bruce, who years ago spent many hours volunteering at the Catholic school where he sent his kids in order that they receive a good education. Lately he could not speak very loudly because of strokes he suffered. He had to hold his hand on his throat in order to have his speech audible.

Bruce's daughter notified me a few days ago that he had been in the hospital this past week and only had a few days left to live. His blood pressure was falling and there was nothing they could do to help him, so they decided to just make him comfortable at the nursing home until he went. So when I visited him on Sunday, I was prepared. He was not awake when I entered his room. I pulled up a chair and held his hand and stroked his forehead and cheek, making the sign of the cross several times on his little bald head. I spoke to him and told him that I was going to pray some Catholic prayers for him and I explained what the Chaplet of Divine Mercy was. I prayed the Chaplet for Bruce. He breathed shallowly. Then I prayed the Anima Christi. It is a beautiful prayer. I talked to him about how proud God must be of how he did so much suffering in his life to raise such a beautiful family. I told him that his suffering could be united with Jesus' suffering on the cross. I told him he was very much loved by his family and that I, too, love him. I just sat quietly and stroked his arm and cheek. It was a very blessed moment of silence and of prayer. Then I kissed his head and left, not knowing if I will see Bruce again next week or not. But, I am thankful that I was able to spend time these past weeks with him and at least give him a little of God's love in his last days on earth. I pray he will be with his Lord and Savior very soon.

Note: Bruce passed away two days after I wrote this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment