Sunday, July 4, 2010

"Go to Hell"

What does it mean when a person says this to another person? The other day someone said this in anger to me. No one had ever said this to me before in my lifetime. It made me cry for more than one day. I felt physically sick and could not sleep for two nights. I could not eat. I cried out to my God for comfort. I cried out, "Why Jesus? Why would someone say this to me? What does this mean?"

To wish hell on someone means that someone desires that the person will never see the face of God; one wishes that the other person will be in eternal punishment with Satan himself; perpetually denied God's promise of eternal life. It is the most cruel thing one can wish for another person. However, when I looked at the crucifix, I recalled that Jesus, too, suffered for the sins of his friends. And He asked God to forgive them as He hung on the cross. So I forgave him in my heart and asked Jesus to accept my pain for the soul of this person.

2 comments:

  1. You must have done something very bad to this guy?
    (Bob)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess what I did or didn't do no longer matters. I learned from it just how horribly painful words can be. Words can "kill" a person. But, I also learned from it to cling more to my Savior. I can give life to this person's soul by continuing to pray every day for him/her, which I do more now than ever because of the love I still have for him/her. Nothing warrants this type of hatred toward another person.

    ReplyDelete