Sunday, November 25, 2012

Another Passes On

Today when I visited the nursing home to bring the gospel and the Eucharist, I was told that my closest friend there, Elizabeth, age 90, passed away yesterday morning. I dreaded the day when I would hear this news. She was so special to me. I loved her very much. As long as I have been coming to minister at the nursing home (8 1/2 years now) Elizabeth has been one of my people I visited. She always had a smile and wanted a kiss when I came in and another when I left. She loved to hear the gospel and remarked how beautiful the Word of God was. She loved receiving holy communion. She was often praying her rosary when I came in. If I asked her to pray for a certain intention of mine, she would. I kept her in my prayers, too.

One time I remarked to her that she should move to the other side of the nursing home where the more coherent patients were. Where she was, was with those whose minds were pretty much gone, or pretty dimented. She right away said, "Oh no. They need me too much right here. I couldn't leave them." I think she thought of herself as the mother to all of the patients on this end. She watched out for them. Her love for them was very strong.

A couple of months before she died, she started to show signs as if she had had a stroke. She was forgetful and acted strangely, asking me to help her over and over again. She would go in and out of these episodes. I knew her time on earth was soon to be over. I made sure to spend a little more time reassuring her and loving her when I made my weekly visits.

God sends people like this into our lives to remind us of how short our life on earth is. He also sends them to us to give us opportunities to love. After all, without love, we have nothing. But, with love, we have everything, for where there is love, there is Jesus. And I found Jesus in Elizabeth. God rest her soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment