Sunday, December 12, 2010

A New Friend

After visiting Lebanon this last time in the summer of 2010, I put a short video on Youtube, telling the life of Blessed Abouna Yaqouub Haddad, a Franciscan Capucian monk who was recently beatified by Pope Benedict XVI. My purpose was to educate Americans on one of the holy men of Lebanon, soon to be canonized. I myself was not aware of the great saints of Lebanon until I visited there in the year 2007. Now I am happily familiar with the lives of Saints Charbel, Hardini, Rafqa and Maroun.

Anyway, a Maroite man posted a comment on my video and complimented my voice. He said that he liked the sound of my American English on the video. He informed me that he has a Youtube channel devoted to the Maronite Church where he has posted many movies about the Maronite Church, and that he intends to post several more in the near future. He asked if I would lend my voice to these videos, and if so, to contact him. Since I love the Maronite Church and Lebanon, I quickly agreed. Thus far we have worked together on two videos.

More importantly, however, is the friendship that has resulted from this endeavor. God has once again arranged for me to have another spiritual friend; one I did not pursue, but one who has become a close, yet geographically distant friend. He and I have shared many evening phone conversations that have lasted an hour or more. Our personalities just seem to have clicked.

What started as mere informational conversations about the early centuries of Maronite history have developed into deep conversations about religion, Lebanon, family, friendships broken, and even the teachings of the Church. I have listened to him speak, and learned what a great faith he has. Each time we talk I know that I needed his words because I needed a dose of humility. Certainly he teaches me, by his “blind and unyielding faith,” that I must imitate his way of saying, “yes” to God on a daily basis. He is a fine example of what it means to follow God without turning to look back. I thank you, God, for putting this new friend into my life. I may never meet him in person. But, having his voice on the other end of the telephone may be just what I needed. He is a blessing in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment