Monday, December 27, 2010

The Babe in the Manger

So tiny, so fragile, sleeping peacefully on a bed of hay;
Mary rests nearby, tired from giving birth.
Her husband keeps watch, far into the night;
Overwhelmed with the task ahead - to protect this child;
The Son of God, entrusted into his care.
Joseph sighs, and gazes lovingly at the babe in the manger;
He whispers a quiet prayer, not wishing to wake mother or son.
"Father above, you have given to me such a great responsibility.
How will I ever be able to love, teach and protect your son?
I am only a simple man, not worthy to be given this tremendous duty."

He looks out at the night sky, a tear rolling down his cheek;
An odd sensation of anxiousness overcomes him.
He desires to do God's will, in all things of his life;
No matter the difficulty or the cost to himself;
This situation is no different.
He lifts the babe into his arms, kisses His cheek;
And inhales the beautiful freshness of the newborn child.
"Lord God of Israel, of Abraham, Moses and all the Prophets before me,
Be with me always I pray, and bless this common, god-fearing servant
So that I may glorify you with my earthly care of your son."

No comments:

Post a Comment