Friday, December 4, 2009

The Time of Advent

Advent is the time during which we once again ready our hearts for the coming of the Lord on Christmas morn. But, how do we ready our hearts, when the world is telling us to spend the time on worldy things? We have to quiet ourselves and take time out to sit with Jesus. We need to focus on Him, if possible, by spending time with the Blessed Sacrament in Eucharistic adoration, just opening our hearts to Him and listening to what He is saying to us. Sometimes I sit before Jesus and offer words of love and praise to my Eucharistic King. Other times I whisper words of thanksgiving and in my mind try to think of all the things that I need to thank God for; both the good and the difficult things in my life, because they are all part of His plan for my spiritual formation. Other times I read Scripture and let Him speak to me through this means, and I know immediately if there is a lesson or a word in there meant for my own use. Still other times I just sit and look at Jesus, hoping that my gaze will be enough. I think eager expectation is the best way to describe the attitude we must take as we anticipate the coming of the Lord on Christmas day, when we will again rejoice in the Incarnation. There would be no Resurrection without the Incarnation, so let us ready for the celebration of this great and holy feast, just a few short weeks away.

No comments:

Post a Comment