Friday, February 18, 2011

Never Hurry

I had a friend who would always push me to "Hurry up, hurry up!" even when it came to prayer. Once I was praying in a chapel and he came to get me to go with him somewhere. He snapped his fingers and said, "Hurry up." I was never so infuriated.

A prayer time should never be hurried. Time with God should be open-ended. One would never think of limiting time spent with a friend or family member. Why would one hurry God? And the deepest form of prayer, contemplative prayer, is meant to be a time of sitting and waiting for God to speak. How can one wait if one is hurrying and rushing? It is impossible.

A good and healthy relationship with God needs to be nourished by allowing God the time to speak at His rate; not to quickly rush Him. That is a rude relationship. And who should be our greatest love if not God Himself? I prefer to wait on God. He is the One most worth waiting for.

No comments:

Post a Comment