Saturday, March 6, 2010

Father Matt's Ordination Video

Last summer when I took Karim back to Lebanon, I missed attending the ordination of Brother Matt Russick, a young man from our community who was ordained to the priesthood out east in Pennsylvania. I would have gone to his ordination if my travel plans hadn't conflicted because I have always been fond of Matt, and he has been a good example to my youth group through the years. In addition, he took the time to come to my house and meet Karim and to pray with him. I know he will be a fine priest and will be attentive to young people.

Fr. Matt's mother recently gave me a copy of a video made of his ordination since I had expressed interest in obtaining one if they should get one. I watched it tonight for the first time. It was amazing. This video renewed my love for the priesthood. One of the things that struck me the most was how beautiful it is to see a large number of priests together celebrating Mass. Here they had all come together to celebrate the ordination of a new "brother" priest. There were many priests and they all participated in individually laying their hands on his head when they called the Holy Spirit down upon him. And again, after the bishop ordained him, they each stood in line to give him a congratulatory hug. It was beautiful.

I like to hear the male voices raised in song. It is the voice of an angelic choir coming together to praise the Lord in unison. What is especially unique is that each one of them was individually chosen by God Himself to fulfill the priestly mission on earth - to bring the sacraments to the faithful - to be the shepherds to the sheep - to open our minds to the Word Himself - to feed the flock. And each one of them has the unparalleled gift of becoming Christ "in persona" when he celebrates the Mass and says the words of consecration and declares "This is my body which was given up for you." Shall I say more?

Fr. Matt's ordination video was just another opportunity for me to recharge my heart's love of the priesthood. Now I can continue my daily prayers for vocations with greater enthusiasm and gusto. Lord knows, we need more priests and religious. God will send them our way. We just need to trust in His ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment